Spread the word about this new resource!
Download or Share The FitnessGram by The Cooper Institute Playground
Welcome to the FitnessGram Playground a comprehensive online site that offers resources for Health and Fitness to improve students physical and mental well-being.
As the world continues to shift due to COVID-19, more and more schools are moving to distance learning health and physical education teachers are looking for ways to keep students healthy and physically active at home.
The high prevalence of obesity in U.S. children remains a significant public health problem and now with the shift to online learning, there are concerns about low levels of physical activity in youth. The Cooper Institute has launched their FitnessGram Playground and online site to offer thousands of schools and homes access to physical activity and fitness resources.
The Cooper Institute research shows that students who participate in 60 minutes of daily physical activity boast improved cardio fitness, healthier body weight, improved attendance and higher academic scores.
Here is a glimpse at some of the available resources to help students stay healthy and physically active at home:
- FitTalks sponsored by the United Way of Metropolitan Dallas, include newly developed series of vignettes, that focus on aerobic capacity, body composition, and muscle fitness.
- FitnessGram Online Learning Modules that provide fitness resources: protocols, assessment cadences, and educational videos and documents.
- FitnessGram Pacer Test Remixes! powered by Hip Hop Public Health include 6-track album revamps to the decades-old FitnessGram PACER Test with hip-hop, pop, electronic dance and Latin-inspired beats, bringing a dance party vibe and motivating students throughout the 22-minute test. Narrated in Spanish and English, the updated sound encourages students with positive “shout outs” and the harsh beeps have been replaced with new “lap” tones and “level” sounds that indicate when the test is about to get a little faster so they can form a lasting appreciation for physical fitness. The album also includes instrumental versions of the tracks that can be used for practice or as a fun soundtrack to any fitness activity. The PACER Test Remixes! powered by Hip Hop Public Health can be downloaded on any major streaming platform such as Spotify, Apple Music, I Heart Radio, or YouTube.
- FitnessGram Activity Tracker App is geared towards youth and designed to track steps and minutes of physical activity to help meet this recommendation. While it is a simple concept, the ability of students to increase awareness of their physical activity patterns can make a significant difference in the health of our youth. This Tracker App will help educators to monitor progress and ensure students are increasing in physical activity. The FitnessGram Activity Tracker app is available now for download at the App Store for iPhone and will be coming soon at the Google Play Store for Android.
- Get 60: Fit 4 FitnessGram H.Y.P.E. Breaks Videos sponsored by the NFL Foundation are part of Hip Hop Public Health’s latest series, H.Y.P.E. the Breaks Vol. 2 created in partnership with The Cooper Institute. This collection of fitness videos consists of four, 15-minute segments (equaling 60 minutes total) that focus on aerobic fitness, muscular strength, high-intensity interval training and flexibility. Each workout is accompanied by the music of the FitnessGram PACER Test Remix and offers a variety of intensity levels, progressions and modifications. The H.Y.P.E. Breaks do not require any equipment, so they can be done anytime, anywhere.
- The Cooper Institute YouTube Channel contains a variety of quick exercise videos, including 15-minute, no equipment workouts.